The Nut House

• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Can my laptop run ETS2?

Started by Capriborn, Jan 03, 2016, 09:38 pm

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Capriborn

Hi Nut House,

I have been watching Paul play this game for over a year now and have decided to purchase from steam as it was only £2.99. I have a Compaq Presario CQ56-251SA laptop. It only has 2GB of RAM but I am upgrading it to 4GB. I also have just gone over to using Ubuntu 14.04 as my OS. I have tried running it as it is now with 2GB and the lowest graphics settings and it just keeps lagging and won't do a thing, I suppose what I am trying to ask is will it work once I have upgraded the RAM?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Dellhound

Hi, to say it short: yes and no. minimum memory for the game 4 GB, but it might be also being caused by your OS you're running on doesn't have full support as far as I know. nonetheless, it is indeed a idea to upgrade to 4 GB. Any idea in what for time period you can get it to upgrade, if you can maybe come back after trying if that fixed it, as that looks like the only (major) problem. And if it didn't solve it, can you please report back the results?
Dellhound 
AMD Radeon HD 6870 AMD FX-4100 ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 Kingston ValueRAM- 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB DDR3 WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX  500GB HDD + Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB HDD

Capriborn

Thank you for the reply. I have ordered the RAM off Amazon and it says it should be here by the end of the week. I hope the OS isn't the case as it said on steam that it will run on an Ubuntu OS:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Dual core CPU 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTS 450-class (Intel HD 4000)
Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
Additional Notes: recent binary ATI or NVidia drivers (MESA may not work reliably)

But I will definitely let you know as so as the RAM arrives if it works. It's just the processor and graphics requirements that worry me, I'm not very tech clever and worry my laptop won't run it. It runs the menu fine as it is now but as soon as I try and drive that is when it just bogs down

Capriborn

Jan 05, 2016, 08:52 pm Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016, 09:00 pm by Capriborn
Here's the specs of my laptop but i don't know how that compares with the minimum requirements. Will it be ok? I'm not very tech

Microprocessor: 2.4 GHz AMD V-Series V160
Microprocessor Cache: 512 KB L2 cache
Video Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (up to 893 MB)

Fused84

Here's the specs of my laptop but i don't know how that compares with the minimum requirements. Will it be ok? I'm not very tech

Microprocessor: 2.4 GHz AMD V-Series V160
Microprocessor Cache: 512 KB L2 cache
Video Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (up to 893 MB)
The minimum requirements say dual core processor, unfortunately yours seems to be single core  (source) - not sure how strict the minimum requirements are set, I'm not familiar with ATI graphics cards, it might just meet the minimum requirements. Since ETS supports Ubuntu the OS itself shouldn't be an issue.

The game might run with the memory upgrade but if it will be playable I wouldn't be able to say - make sure to test it at the lowest possible settings and avoid known causes of lag like chrome and mirrors, if that works you can slowly try to what level you can go.

Capriborn

Tried it with the memory and i can run a bare bones version. I mean literally everything turned off and it runs sort of smooth, until i hit cities and have a load of cars in one place then it bogs down again. Seeing as i am on laptop i am not going to spend any more money upgrading it and wait until i can get something better. It must be the processor and graphics card slowing everything down

Dellhound

Hi again, good to hear that it works (better) now. At least it doesn't crash. Is there anything else you need help with, or do you think there is nothing else related to the subject and think the problem has been solved with this? Just let me know.
Kind regards,
Dellhound
AMD Radeon HD 6870 AMD FX-4100 ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 Kingston ValueRAM- 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB DDR3 WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX  500GB HDD + Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB HDD

Capriborn

I don't think there is much else I can do now Dellhound, at least i can play the game i suppose, it may not look the best but I'm still having fun. Thanks for your help

Dellhound

Hi, good to hear your problem has been solved. Like you said, there is probably not much you can do without having to buy a completely new PC/laptop. Nonetheless, good to know I was able to help you with your problem.

Dellhound

Go Up