• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

My new simpit build.

Started by Fatie89, Jan 05, 2020, 07:42 pm

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Fatie89

Jan 05, 2020, 07:42 pm Last Edit: Jan 07, 2020, 08:37 pm by Fatie89
Hello there!

So last august I tore down my previous simpit as I was going to remodel my bedroom.

As I didn't like the fact that it stood out in the bedroom and that the bedroom was very basic in itself I decided to remodel it all. I still wanted to have a simpit, going back to a regular desk after having a simpit is not an option. I had the same specifics, I had to be able to use my mouse and keyboard for normal use and gaming while the joystick, throttle, pedals and everything else was still connected.

I started with remodeling of the room. I'm still not done but it's much better than before.

Instead of having a door to a small room I used sliding wardrobe mirror doors so that it looks like a normal wardrobe. If you want you can remove the simpit and use it as an actual wardrobe, great for when I sell the apartment.

Inside I had a smaller space to build on but that was intentional as I thought that the previous simpit was too large. What I had noticed during the use of the old build was that I didn't need to have the seat so far down, instead I could raise the seat and by doing so, shorten the length.

If I was to build a new simpit I didn't want to use the same old accessories that I wanted to replace anyway. I bought the Thrustmaster TPR (rudder pedals), Buttkicker gamer, Thrustmaster Cougar MFD:s (x3,Hornet style) and the Thrustmaster Hornet stick for my Warthog HOTAS. The Buttkicker will for example make me feel the vibrations of the runway as I take off or land in DCS.

Something I've wanted to do since the previous build is backlit panels. I never got around to do it but now I can. It's so much more work but it will be worth it in the end, hopefully. To create these I looked around on the world wide web and stumbled upon a channel on YT where the guy is building an A-10 Warthog simpit. He had uploaded a video where he uses his K40 laser to manufacture acrylic panels. The logical solution for me then was to get a laser. During the time I saved up some money I looked around for a CNC for beginners with the possibility of using a laser with it. I got really interested in the Sainsmart Genmitsu 3018-Pro so I kept and eye on it. When the time came for me to buy it there was a packagedeal for the MX3 version with a 5.5W blue laser.

Actually getting it to work like I wanted I had to find a program where I could design and output the gcode that is needed for the machine. I settled on Autodesk Fusion 360 and now the really tough stuff began. Learning a CAD program from scratch without having anyone to ask when you get stuck is really difficult, a lot of hair was pulled while shouting colourful words. It took about two weeks before I new enough to move on.

After you create a design you need the program that controls the CNC. My unit has a controller card which is locked to the software Mach3. Setting the program up enough to get the spindle to actually engrave a test file into a piece of wood took about an hour. Making it work with a laser though, Jesus Christ. All the forums are the same, you have to have the knowledge to understand what the people trying to answer your questiones say. This is extremely frustrating and have made me quit early some days.

Today I finally made enough progress to say I've actually gotten something done.

The black piece will hold the LED lamps and the (almost) clear piece will defuse the light and spread it. I will then take a white piece, paint it black and then engrave the letters in it. This will make the white show again and the green light from the LED:s will then come through the letters.

This is as far as I've come but I hope that I can increase the pace now that I have more knowledge.

Fatie89

Update on the build.

As I've shown before, the whole build is inside the "closet" that was built for this purpose.

The state of it right now.

With the keyboard and mouse pulled out for usage.

The right console with the newly added panel that has the trackpad. The trackpad is for when I'm in need of a mouse but the keyboard and mouse is tucked back inside like when I'm flying. Two switches are missing as I'm out of stock and need to order more but I'm waiting until I've designed the last panel. One of the panels have backlighting, that was a lot of work and I might do the same to the other panels. I have prepared all panels for installation of LED lights.

All the panels are designed with three jet fighters in mind, the AJS 37 Viggen, F/A-18 Hornet and the F-14 Tomcat. Because of the Viggen there is some text in Swedish.

Front console, strong lights from the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD because of the dark surrounding. Two Saitek/ Logitech Flight Instrument Panel, one in each of the two top MFD:s, these can be used with X-plane. You can also see the Thrustmaster TPR pedals.

Left console with the throttle. I've changed the original slew axis controller to this instead Analog thumbstick skew sensor upgrade and I love it, the control is much better. You can see the USB and DP extension cables at the front of the throttle. I noticed that the extension cables were a bit short when I installed them but they do work, the Rift S headset is hanging on the wall right behind my right shoulder.

Behind the monitor I have the Philips Hue Play that sync up with the screen. Underneath the chair I have the Buttkicker Gamer 2 and it can really elevate the immersion.

Tam_O_Shanter

Great to see  sqrlYES

Perhaps post a link in Discord?

Fatie89

Great to see  sqrlYES

Perhaps post a link in Discord?
Thank you!

I already have, it's in general chat.

Tam_O_Shanter

Great - thanks!

Go Up