The Nut House

• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Slow Boot

Started by samrambo1410, Dec 10, 2016, 08:14 pm

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

samrambo1410

Hi, this is my first time on the forum, so if I do something wrong, I do apologise.

So the story is, I have a 2 monitor setup and when I boot, the motherboard bit boots on the 2nd monitor and then the win 10 loading screen also shows on the 2nd monitor and then the login shows on the 1st monitor. I have no idea why, but this bugged me. So I googled how to fix this and someone said something in my BIOS. So I did that and re-booted. When I booted, it came up with an error message and said it can't boot, so I changed it back. After that, It's been really slow on boot. The disk sits really high for about a minute, goes down, and then goes back up for another 2 minutes.

I've tried returning to optimized defaults, disabling SuperFetch and windows search, turning off all my notifications, defragging my Hard drive with defraggler, cleaning up using CCleaner and resetting the BIOS.

I really don't know what to do next. If you have ANY ideas, please suggest.  sqrlLOVE

My specs:
CPU: Intel i5 4460
GPU: ASUS GeForce 750Ti
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 
PSU: Corsair VS450
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H
HDD: WD Blue 1TB

If you need any more info, just ask!

jackspiano

Good evening sqrlHI

You may want to contact the same people who you bought your PC from. You can either do this by contacting them via the phone, however another option is to look online to see if they have a website and then you may be able to get some online support. Alternatively, it may be an idea to contact the same people who develop the component that you are having a problem with and contact them. They should be able to give you some solutions.

Hope this helps!

jackspiano

Truecerium

samrambo1410 I take it you have been through that dance of removing your 2nd monitor and the try rebooting etc. Is only the booting slow or is it the loading of the OS?

Cheers

sikejsudjek

A few things I'd try.
Crystal disk info - to check the hard drive condition is ok.
http://download.cnet.com/CrystalDiskInfo/3000-2086_4-10832082.html
Stick prefetch and superfetch ON for a hard drives
Check DMA access is on for the hard drive in bios

After checking hardware and bios settings - if all ok you could try reinstalling your graphics drivers, if that doesn't work a selective boot to see if any drivers are hanging the boot process and as a last resort refreshing windows 10 but back everything up before you mess about with this or it could loose data or make things worse !

Longer term
Consider upgrading to adding a small ssd for you operating system and if its ok keep the other drive for data.

Truecerium

I´m somewhat confused: who has the problem, samrambo1410 or  sikejsudjek? samrambo1410: do you still have the problem with the two monitors? Did you try booting with only 1 monitor?

samrambo1410

Sorry about the long wait, might have forgotten about this thread oops.

Sikejsudjek:
I tried CrystalDisk and it says its ok. Health Status is good. I have already tried Resetting Windows and that didn't work. In the time I forgot about my thread I did buy an ssd to put Windows on however ended up not being able to work out how so Now it has games on it. If you know how I would be happy to move them off. I don't think its the graphics drivers either.

Truecerium
I attempted booting without the 2nd monitor and found no difference. It takes its time loading to the login screen and then when I login it sits at 50-90% disk usage for 5-10 minutes.

jackspiano
This was a custom  pc. It was an old pc a friend didn't need anymore and over time I have upgraded everything EXCEPT the hard Drive.

I am starting to accept the fact that it might just be the fact that its an old hard drive and the only thing to do is move Windows 10 onto my SSD but I'm not sure how.

Go Up